In 2013, after a distinguished career as a New York State Acting Supreme Court Judge, John C. Cherundolo chose to return to the practice of law. As a nationally-recognized trial lawyer and former New York State Supreme Court Justice, Judge Cherundolo has re-joined the New York State Bar and is actively practicing law again with the establishment of Cherundolo Law Firm PLLC, a personal injury law firm. He is admitted to practice in New York State and in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York.
John Cherundolo has been widely known for years to be one of the finest trial lawyers in the United States. Cherundolo has been involved in serious Personal Injury cases throughout the United States, with a significant presence in the Northeastern United States. In his years of practice, Cherundolo has had many settlements and verdicts for clients well into the millions of dollars and some approaching and/or well into the tens of millions.
He is one of only a few trial lawyers in New York State that has been named as a Fellow to the coveted International Academy of Trial Lawyers, a Prestigious International Group that allows only the 500 best trial attorneys in the United States to be admitted as Fellows. Cherundolo is a leader in the law, trial lawyer, educator, Bar leader, and stands for competency and professionalism in every case that the Cherundolo Law Firm handles for it’s clients. He is also an Adjunct Professor at the Syracuse University College of Law where he teaches Advanced Torts and is deeply involved in teaching other advanced trial activities.
New York State Judgeship
In 2006, Judge Cherundolo was appointed to Acting Justice of the New York Sate Supreme Court by the then Governor of the State of New York, George Pataki. In these roles, he presided over a prodigious trial calendar that covered a wide array of substantive and procedural aspects of New York State Law, and wrote many significant decisions making first impression law in New York State that have had significant impact throughout the Country. Judge Cherundolo has now returned to the private practice of law, and started Cherundolo Law, a group of professional men and women fully committed to the excellence in the practice of law and the protection of individual rights.
Prior to joining the bench, Judge Cherundolo gained prominence as a top trial lawyer by winning large and complex cases throughout the country. In 1983, he founded Cherundolo, Bottar & Leone, P.C., a firm dedicated to representing seriously injured individuals, and practiced trial law in the primary legal areas of medical malpractice, product liability, workplace accidents, automobile, mass torts, and aviation matters. As lead trial counsel, he has won many of the largest verdicts in Upstate New York, and has been involved in complex cases throughout the Northeast United States.
Judge Cherundolo and Syracuse University
Judge Cherundolo is a longtime resident of Central New York and graduated cum laude and in the top 10% of his class, from Syracuse University College of Law in 1973. His success earned him the awards of being named as a member of Justinian Honor Society and Order of the Coif, the two highest honors given in Law School. He received a Masters Degree in Public Administration from Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs in 1972, and his B.A. from the Syracuse University College of Arts and Sciences in 1970. He later attended Temple University Law School where he received a Masters Degree in Trial Advocacy. He is a member of the Board of Advisors of the Syracuse University College of Law. Judge Cherundolo is an Adjunct Professor at Syracuse University College of Law for more than a decade, where he teaches courses in Advanced Torts and Civil Actions: Procedures and Pre-Trial Discovery.
While an undergraduate student at Syracuse University, Judge Cherundolo was a member of the school’s football squad and was named a three-year letter winner as well as an offensive tackle first team All-East selection and mentioned to several All-American teams. He was also recognized as an Academic All-American. After completing his undergrad degree, he was signed to the Cleveland Browns, but opted to go to law school instead. Judge Cherundolo recently sat as a Chair of the Syracuse University Athletic Department Board of Directors, and is currently a member of the Board of the Syracuse Football Alumni Club.
- Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, currently serves as the State Co-Chair (One of the Top 500 Lawyers in the United States)
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (One of the Top 2 1/2% of the best trial lawyers in the United States)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum
- Fellow of the American Board of Trial Advocates and currently serves as the Central New York Chapter’s representative to the Board of Directors
- A founding member of the New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, and current President Elect
- Consistently named in Best Lawyers in America for almost two decades
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Platinum Member of the Elite Lawyers of America
- New York State Super Lawyer
- Past State delegate of the American Trial Lawyers Association
- Past member of the Leader’s Forum, of AAJ
- Served as President of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Former member of the Presidents’ Council of the American Association of Justice
- Former Dean of the New York Trial Lawyers Institute
- Served as the Chair of the Steering Committee of the Alliance of Consumer Rights
- Served as State Coordinator for the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Judge Cherundolo is one of the profession’s best-known speakers and presents regularly at New York State Academy conferences and local Bar associations’ continuing education legal seminars designed to teach other attorneys about advanced skill development and strategy in trial practice. Judge Cherundolo has always been an active member of the legal community.