Syracuse Attorneys Helping People
Hurt By Negligence
When treated by health-care providers, we expect that we're in good hands. While most people don't expect miracles, we do expect health-care providers to act professionally and responsibly at all times. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. The medical malpractice lawyers at Cherundolo Law Firm, PLLC help people throughout Central New York who have suffered harm as a result.
Medical malpractice is not just making a simple mistake. It is an act of negligence that occurs when a medical professional did not do his or her job properly. There are accepted standards in the medical profession that all healthcare providers have a responsibility to follow. When they don't meet that responsibility, people can get hurt.
A patient can be harmed due to negligence by a doctor, nurse, physician assistant, anesthesiologist, pharmacist or other healthcare worker. There are different types of medical malpractice, and all can have serious consequences. Examples of medical malpractice include:
- Misdiagnosis or delay in diagnosis
- Failure to diagnose an illness
- Improper treatment of a disease or illness
- Failure to obtain proper consent prior to a procedure
- Surgical errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Emergency room errors
- Prescription drug error or improper medication
- Hospital infection
- Birth injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Brain damage
As a result of medical malpractice, a patient can be left with extensive medical bills, an inability to work, permanent disability and pain and suffering.
Experience that wins big cases
As a result of medical malpractice, a patient can be left with extensive medical bills,
Medical malpractice cases are often complex and difficult to prove. But our firm is up to the challenge. Our unparalleled experience has led to a track record of success that we continue to build on each day. We have the skills and the resources that get results for clients.
Our legal team conducts a thorough investigation of your case. We examine all related documents, including medication records, X-ray reports and lab test results. We interview witnesses who may be able to provide supporting evidence of negligence. And we consult medical experts who can help us determine whether standards of care were followed.
If you believe you or a loved one has been a victim of medical malpractice, it's important to talk to an experienced attorney as soon as possible. In general, you have 30 months from the date of the negligent action (or inaction) to file a legal claim for damages.
However, medical malpractice claims can be complicated, and it can take time to build a strong case that establishes negligence. We can then help you recover damages, which may include:
- Medical expenses-these can include all costs related to the malpractice injury, such as hospitalization, surgery, medication, physical therapy and assistive devices
- Lost wages-compensation for lost income while your injury leaves you unable to work.
- Loss of earning capacity-compensation if your injury leaves you unable to earn money as before you were injured
- Pain and suffering- compensation for the physical pain caused by the injury, as well as the emotional distress it brought, such as anxiety, depression and fear
- Loss of consortium-this refers to the loss of marital benefits, such as loss of companionship, affection, comfort and sexual relations
Other damages may include loss of enjoyment of life, compensation for disability or disfigurement, and loss of parental support. We can go over the details of your case and help you determine your true damages.
Learn about your legal options during a free consultation with one of our attorneys. Simply contact us to set up an appointment. If you can't make it to our Syracuse office, we can come out to meet you.